B is for … Bubbling Well Road, Shanghai 上海南京西路老照片

The Bubbling Well Road was the road to the ‘Bubbling Well’, to Jing’an Temple, an extension of the Nanjing Road, known to Chinese residents as the ‘Dama lu’ 大马路’. Early residents of what became the International Settlement used to walk out for recreation along this route to the temple. As the settlement grew it became for a time a quiet, semi-rural residental area. It was incorporated into the Settlement in 1899. In 1919 it was the ‘prettiest road in Shanghai’, remarked the Revd Darwent, who took the photograph below, ‘the foliage is rich and full’.

Bubbling Well Road, Shanghai, Hayward collection, da01-02.

It was a favourite with those who liked to show off their new automobiles — evidence of Shanghai’s First World War boom — by driving up and down it at all hours. As well as the temple, it was the site of a settlement police station, and the Bubbling Well Cemetery, opened in 1898, closed in 1951, and redeveloped two years later. The present Jing’an park occupies the site.

This entry was posted in Alphabet China, Digitisation, Photograph of the day and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to B is for … Bubbling Well Road, Shanghai 上海南京西路老照片

1. Kathy says:

Love the photo. I am doing a little research into my family and my great grandfather lived at no. 200 Bubbling Well Road. What a fantastic name. He died there in 1909.

2. Richard Woodall says:

My father worked in Shanghai between approximatley 1928 to 1932, I have some photographs, one is taken whilst he was standing on the balcony of a house that he rented in Bubbling Well Road lived. I can remember him telling me many tails of his escapades during his stay there, gambling at the Canidrome etc.

3. Art Bickerton says:

My grandfather built and operated the sixty room Bickerton Hotel at 102 Bubbling Well Road (1900-1925) in Shanghai, China. His name was Thomas Lacey Bickerton married Wilhelmina Paisley (Bickerton) We have many photographs of Shanghai. He was also involved in the Chinese Labour Corp (1915-1919). They moved to Tsingtao in 1926 living happily at Strand Beach. They were interned by the Japanese – POW camp from 1943 to 1945.
    I would like learn more on lives of those who resided in Shanghai and Tsingtao during that time. Thank you. Art Bickerton

4. Kathryn Taylor says:

My great grandfather (William Henry Talbot) lived in China and my grandmother (Amy Talbot 1890-1984) was born on the 20th September 1890 and raised in Bubbling Well Rd. He He, Chufew. William Henry Talbot was involved in banking in Shanghai and later, Yokohama, Japan. Amy Talbot was the youngest of 5 children to William Talbot and Ann Walker. They were Mary; Alfred; Dora; Vivian and Amy.My great grandmother Ann Walker Talbot doed in childbirth in 1890. If you have uncovered information about this family, I would appreciate you getting in touch.

5. Doris Roth Van Vleet says:

Interesting, I was looking for a photo of the actual Bubbling Well in Shanghai which was on Bubbling Well Rd. across from the cemetery where our grandmother was buried. Our father was born in Yokohama, mother from Vladivostok…all four of us were born in Shanghai…my brother, sister, aunt and father were interned in Chapei Camp. We arrived in SF in 1947. My husband and I wrote a book called ‘Now is the time we must be strong’…..and it’s on Amazon or we have some here to sign, etc.

6. Amen Roth says:

I am Amen Roth ,Doris Roth is my haldblooded sister,I am still living shanghai,I am luck I can look ‘Now is the time we must be strong’ the book in my life!

7. Kathy Talbot Bergquist says:

To: Kathryn Taylor
    My grandfather was Alfred Talbot born Yokohama 1884 (son of William Henry Talbot). I have uncovered some information about this part of my family. If you would be interested in receiving the information I have, please send me an email at katetb[at]aol.com. I look forward to hearing from you,

8. Gina says:

I have a photo of my grandfather and his friends from when he lived and worked at 99 Bubbling Well Road. His name was Dr. Raymond Louis Carey.

9. Derek Bailey says:

My family – (both sides of grand parents) were in Shanghai before the war and they all ended up in Chapei POW Camp. My parents were children – Mum born in 1932 in Hong Kong and Dad born in 1929 in Shanghai. My paternal grandparents were missionaries and were based in Bubbling Well road where I believe the Chinese Inland Mission had their Shanghai office. My maternal Grandfather was a Customs Officer with the Chinese Maritime Customs.
    I am also researching my family history – and would love to hear from people whose families shared a similar fate.
    I still live in Hong Kong.

10. My grandmother Mrs Julie Paton used to stay at Arthur and Bessie Hallams residence in this road in 1922. She had four daughjters ,one of which was my mother Eileen Patricia Paton Clifford nee Paton ,born China 1015. Died Perth west Australia 2007.
    I have a photo of the family taken in the hallams ‘s garden. Any photos would be appreciated . mike Clifford Perthn WA 23/5/2013

11. Shirley Fraser says:

Thank you Robert…I will be there next week….checking out the life and times of Samuel and Frances Clifton and their daughter Bertha Limby.

12. Suzanne Powrie says:

My aunt died of smallpox in Shanghai in the late 1920′s.She died in the isolation hospital which I think was in Bubbling Well Road.I was in Shanghai about 5 years ago but could not find find any information about the hospital although I could see where the old racecourse had been in that part of Shanghai.Does anybody know anything about the hospital ?

13. Thomas Ruple says:

We have a hand carved cedar wooden chest that has the name Art Car Ying Furniture, 105 B Bubbling Well Road. Does anyone have information on either the chest, address, or the furniture company? truple1064@gmail.com

14. Rebecca Ewing Peterson says:

Suzanne – The Municipal Isolation Hospital was north of Suzhou Creek at 41 Range Road (now Wujin Road) . It was across the street from the Japanese School and in the block west of Hongkew Creek. I have a 1937 map of Shanghai and it has been amazingly useful for just such as this.

15. Andre Gensburger says:

My great grandfather was Star Talbot, married to Emily (nee White). He was Eurasian and his Chinese name Sze Yuen Ming. They lived on Bubbling Well Rd, then later on Great Western Rd (and Tifeng Rd).

Emily’s father was bullion broker Augustus White. His father was London banker Augustus Jackson White. Augustus White remarried after the death of Emily’s mother and had more children, including Ethyl Bidwell (nee White).

If anyone has information about them, I would appreciate hearing from you.

16. Charles Higham says:

My parents met in a sweet shop in Bubbling Well Road in 1935. I am going to Shanghai on Wednesday. How do I find Bubbling Well Road today?
    Charles Higham

17. Bubbling Well Road is Nanjing xi lu, that is, West Nanjing Road.

18. Kathy Talbot Bergquist says:

To: Kathryn Taylor
    Kathryn, you are definitely related to me as Amy Talbot was my grandfather’s sister. I wrote a note on this site, but haven’t heard from you. I have a significant amount of info about the Talbots who lived in Yokohama and Shanghai and also some info about Anne Walker, our great grandmother. Please contact me. My email address is: katetb@aol.com I live in the US. I look forward to hearing from you.

19. Susi Curtis says:

I am looking for information about my husband’s grandfather. His surname was Kardos (formerly Cohen) (my husband does not know his first name – only that he was ‘papi’) and I understand that he had a menswear shop on Bubbling Well Road from approx 1938 to 1948. If anybody has any information (including a map of the road at that time) I would be most appreciative. My email address is susicurtis1@hotmail.com.

20. This blog has generated a lot of interesting comments. However, we are shutting down the comments function on this site overall. If you have comments and queries about the Bubbling Well Road we would be happy to hear from you direct via hums-chinaphotos [at] bristol.ac.uk.