- Guest blog: Rachel Meller on Uncovering the story of Shanghai’s Second World War Jewish refugees
- Andrew Hillier on Bessie Pirkis: A Renaissance Woman in Peking
- Need and opportunity: the new HPC website
- Everything’s changed, but everything’s still the same: HPC update
- Location/Dislocation – Admiral Keppel, the Chinese Buddha at Sandringham and three key photographs
- The Forbidden City at War: Images of the Wartime Evacuation of the Imperial Art Collections
- A name, a photograph, and a history of global connections
- ‘Normal’ Lives Led in Abnormal Conditions
- Charles Frederick Moore’s photographs of the ruins of the European-style palaces (西洋楼) at the Yuanmingyuan (圆明园)
- Pieces of China in Bristol – cataloguing Historical Photographs of China material
- A disturbing intimacy: The Private Papers of C. C. A. Kirke
- Jamie Carstairs on Remembering John Thomson in Edinburgh
- Guest blog: Nadine Attewell on Refocusing the Gaze: Leisure, Power, and Women’s Work in Interwar Hong Kong
- HPC: A Change of Pace
- Guest blog: Claire Lowrie on ‘Travelling Servants and Moving Images: A Photographic History of Chinese Domestic Workers’
Category Archives: About us
Report on 'Snapshots in Time: Photography and History in Modern China'
Dr Sabrina Fairchild, who composed this blog, and who organised this workshop, completed her PhD at the University of Bristol in Spring 2016 with a thesis on ‘Fuzhou and Global Empires: Understanding the Treaty Ports of Modern China, 1850-1937.’ On … Continue reading
Posted in About us, History of photography in China, Photographers Tagged Bristol, British Inter-university China Centre, students, workshop Comments Off on Report on 'Snapshots in Time: Photography and History in Modern China'
Postgraduate workshop: 'Snapshots in Time: Photography and History in Modern China'
The British Inter-university China Centre, and the Historical Photographs of China project at the University of Bristol warmly invite applications from Masters and Doctoral students working in modern Chinese and East Asian history to participate in a three-day research training … Continue reading
Posted in About us, History of photography in China, Photographers Tagged Bristol, British Inter-university China Centre, students, workshop Comments Off on Postgraduate workshop: 'Snapshots in Time: Photography and History in Modern China'
One of our funders, and strong supporters, is the UK’s Arts & Humanities Research Council, which is marking its tenth anniversary with a series of films about its activities since 2005. The Historical Photographs of China project is the subject … Continue reading
Posted in About us, Elsewhere on the net, Update Tagged AHRC, film, Project team Comments Off on Filmed!