- ‘Normal’ Lives Led in Abnormal Conditions
- Charles Frederick Moore’s photographs of the ruins of the European-style palaces (西洋楼) at the Yuanmingyuan (圆明园)
- Pieces of China in Bristol – cataloguing Historical Photographs of China material
- A disturbing intimacy: The Private Papers of C. C. A. Kirke
- Jamie Carstairs on Remembering John Thomson in Edinburgh
- Guest blog: Nadine Attewell on Refocusing the Gaze: Leisure, Power, and Women’s Work in Interwar Hong Kong
- HPC: A Change of Pace
- Guest blog: Claire Lowrie on ‘Travelling Servants and Moving Images: A Photographic History of Chinese Domestic Workers’
- Guest blog: The Cercle Sportif Français: Elite cosmopolitanism in Shanghai’s Former French Concession.
- Black and white Hong Kong transformed by ‘OldHKinColour’
- The Five Faces of Dr Walter Medhurst, D.D.
- Shanghai City Wall and Gates
- Visualizing Qing Diplomats in the West
- Ruins of Macau in Historical Photographs of China collection – part three
- Ruins of Macau in Historical Photographs of China collections – part two
Tag Archives: Valentine
Valentine’s Day approaches and look-seeing is in the air. Most probably taken in 1937, this photograph by Malcolm Rosholt, has a certain tension that may have mirrored the tension of a city at war, or on a war footing.